Monday, November 16, 2009

Neat..

One of the neat things with homeschooling is being able to stop lessons when the mood strikes to do something else. Well, at least some of the time. The kids would be stopping all the time because their mood was more for a board game rather than math if they could, but you get the idea.

When the first snow of the year fell, we postponed starting school in the morning so that the kids could get on their snow gear and play outside for a while. They were so excited they did not even change out of their pajamas before donning snowpants, coats, and all the necessary snow accessories. I felt that the experience of getting a small bit of "snow day" was worth the late start, and the kids successfully had gotten out their wiggles and were ready to start school (while sipping hot chocolate) when they came in.

My husband works from home, and sometimes we go outside and work on things in the backyard during his lunch break. Today we dumped many, many bags of leaves onto the garden. My mother-in-law has wonderfully brought us these leaves which she has picked up from relatives, or just from strangers curbs. It is wonderful to see the ground covered in leaves, knowing that this will help provide the soil which more nutrition for all of our veggies next year.

So now there is a large area just covered with leaves. I would guess it is about a foot deep all over the garden. As you might expect, the kids wanted to go jump around in them. They already had all been outside helping us dump the leaves out of the bags, and so we me and my husband went in I let the big kids stay out. Sprout had to come in with me, since I did not want her to get too cold, but the little stinker kept sneaking out the doggy door!

On one of my excursions to retrieve the little one and bribe her to stay indoors, I noticed that Spike was missing. Turns out that Princess had buried him almost entirely with leaves, per his request. I ran in, grabbed my camera, and snapped a couple of pictures. You have to look pretty closely in the first picture in order to find Spike's face. He told me that being buried in the leaves was, "nice and warm."

No comments:

Post a Comment